President Aquino inducts newly elected officials of KBP
President Benigno S. Aquino III inducted into office the newly elected officials of the Kapisanan ng mga Broadkaster ng Pilipinas (KBP) in ceremonies held in Malacanang on Monday.
The President administered the oaths of office to the KBP’s new Board of Trustees, Standards Authority Directors and officers and members in Malacanang’s Heroes Hall at around 10 a.m.
The 2014 KBP Board of Trustees and Officers are: Ruperto Nicdao, Jr. – Chairman, Butch Canoy – Vice Chairman, Herman Basbaño – president, Francisco Cardona – Executive Vice President, Alfredo Henrares – Vice President Television, Joselito Yabut – Corporate Secretary, Manuel Bongayan, SVD – Treasurer, Erwin Galang, Cecilia Dy, Jose Alberto Ante, Ric Climaco, Noel Galvez, Ramon Osoria, Orly Pangcog, George Salabao and Christine Joanne Navarro as Directors.
The Kapisanan ng mga Broadkaster ng Pilipinas, or National Association of Broadcasters of the Philippines, is an organization made up of owners and operators of radio and television stations in the Philippines. It was organized on April 27, 1973 by representatives of 19 broadcasting companies and, within a few months, included all broadcasting organizations in the country.
The KBP was established to elevate the standards of broadcasting, help promote positive social change, held disseminate information on development, and establish better business practices between the broadcast media and the advertising industry. PND (rck)
Malaysian Airlines incident should spur airline industry to review security measures to prevent a similar incident from happening in the Philippines
The incident involving a Malaysian airlines plane disappearing should spur Philippine authorities to review the country’s airline security measures to prevent a similar incident from happening in the country, Presidential Spokesperson Edwin Lacierda said on Monday.
In a press briefing in Malacanang, Lacierda said that although security measures in the Philippines are already very strict, the incident should be seen as a way of further reviewing our security measures.
“I think our security measures are very strict but certainly this incident gives us a chance to pause and look and review our security measures. I am sure the Bureau of Immigration will see this incident as a way of reviewing our security measures,” Lacierda said. PND (rck)
Palace welcomes IMF’s review of the economy after typhoon 'Yolanda'
The Palace said it welcomes the assessment by the International Monetary Fund (IMF) this week adding it will cooperate on the review of the country’s economy.
It was reported that a team from the IMF is set to visit the Philippines this week for its annual evaluation of the economy.
The IMF review will focus on the ongoing reconstruction efforts after Typhoon Yolanda, the country’s external accounts and the government efforts to make economic growth trickle down to the poor.
Asked by reporters if he thinks the country will pass the review, Presidential spokesman Edwin Lacierda said he can’t predict the outcome but the government will present its reconstruction plan.
“Secretary (Panfilo) Ping Lacson and all the concerned agencies—DPWH, DSWD, DOH, and others will certainly be meeting with them, and also NEDA,” he told reporters in a press briefing in Malacanang on Monday noting that the one doing post-disaster assessment is NEDA.
But he said the administration is confident because it has the budget for reconstruction in addition to pledges of assistance by foreign governments and organizations.
The Palace official also emphasized the role of the private sector in rebuilding areas devastated by Typhoon Yolanda, which is a great help for the government.
The IMF expects the Philippine economy to grow by 6.3 percent this year, slower than last year’s 7.2 percent. PND (as)
Government on top of the situation amid risks on ‘Yolanda’ survivors
Malacañang assured the public on Monday that national government agencies remain on top of the situation amid the reported risks facing women and children four months after surviving the wrath of super typhoon "Yolanda" (Haiyan).
Presidential Spokesman Edwin Lacierda said the Department of Health (DOH), the Department of Education (DepEd), and the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) continue to have men on the ground to address the remaining concerns of typhoon victims.
The statement came after the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) released a report saying that while there is a growing sense of recovery in Yolanda-hit areas, there is a host of immediate risk that looms largely on children, ranging from epidemic outbreaks, disruption and loss of access to learning, and greater exposure to violence and exploitation.
“We are always concerned about situations where it will give rise to any epidemic, and therefore, DOH has been on the ground working to prevent such, and has been installing or implementing procedures to make sure that such an event does not happen,” Lacierda said.
With respect to education, Lacierda said it continues to be provided by DepEd to students, although there are some areas where schools have to be rebuilt first, which the agency has already been working on.
“I spoke to Secretary Armin Luistro last Saturday---I think Saturday evening---and we spoke about the construction of schools. Ongoing ang construction of schools doon sa Yolanda,” Lacierda said.
The Palace official said it would also make sure that the DSWD looks after children who have lost their parents from the tragedy so they would not fall under threats of exploitation, violence, and abuse.
“Of course, we are concerned about kung wala na ‘yung mga magulang; and, therefore, DSWD would have to take care of those orphaned children, kung meron. But right now, kung may mga magulang naman sila, again we continue to provide relief efforts to our people,” Lacierda said.
Over 14 million people were affected by super typhoon Yolanda when it hit central Philippines in November 8, 2013; 5.9 million of whom are children, according to the data gathered by the UNICEF. PND (hdc)