Aquino condemns terrorism of Abu Sayaff
President Benigno S. Aquino III condemns the attack perpetrated by the Abu Sayaff Group (ASG) against government troops that resulted in the death of seven soldiers in Sulu last Thursday.
“Mark my words --- those of you who perpetrated this atrocity, know that you are now number one on my radar. It might take some time, but make no mistake about it: you will be brought to justice to answer for your crimes,” Aquino said in his statement on the death of seven soldiers in Patikul, Sulu during an encounter with ASG terrorists.
Aquino said, “I condemn these atrocities that are meant to put pressure on the peace process — to derail our efforts to counteract the causes of banditry, rebellion, and terrorism. Let me be very clear: those who want neither peace nor progress are the ones who perpetrated this dastardly act.”
The Chief Executive instructed Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin to ensure that every possible aid and assistance is given to the families of slain soldiers.
Reports said seven soldiers were killed and several others were wounded in an encounter between the Marine Battalion Landing Team 11 of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) and elements of the Abu Sayaff early morning Thursday.
“I will be personally going to extend my sympathies and condole with the bereaved relatives of these brave soldiers. I will be letting them know that pursuit operations will go on, and we will not stop until all those involved are captured,” Aquino said.
As a tribute to the brave soldiers, Aquino assured that they will redouble their efforts to attain peace.
“I ask all our people to pause in silent tribute to the latest in the roster of selfless men and women who have given their utmost for our country,” he said. (JS)
Aquino vows to stop human trafficking in the country
President Benigno S. Aquino III vowed to put an end to human trafficking in the country as he led the recognition of groups and individuals fighting to stop trafficking in persons.
“Patuloy tayong magsusulong ng mga hakbangin na magpapabuti sa kalagayan at kaligtasan ng pinakamahalagang yaman ng ating bansa: ang taumbayan,” the President said at Department of Justice Inter-Agency Council Against Trafficking Testimonial Dinner at the Rizal Ceremonial Hall, Malacañang Palace Friday (July 29).
The Chief Executive presented the Presidential Citation to Zamboanga City Assistant City Prosecutor Darlene Pajarito who was recently recognized by the US State Department as among the Global Trafficking in Persons Heroes for 2011. During the program, 12 organizations and individuals were awarded special citations for their efforts in battling human trafficking in the country.
The President noted that while there are Filipinos still leaving for abroad to seek greener pastures, he said his administration will not let human traffickers victimized them.
“Hindi natin hahayaan na manaig ang kalokohan ng mga mapang-abuso. Haharapin at lalabanan natin sila ng taas-noo. Kaya naman sa pamamagitan ng Inter-agency Council Against Trafficking lalo pang pinapagtibay ng gobyerno ang mga inisyatiba upang masigurong maiimbestigahan, mapo-prosecute, at ang pinakaimportante ay mako-convict ang lahat ng mga nang-aabuso sa ating mga kababayan sa loob at labas ng bansa,” he said.
The law against human trafficking will not be allowed to be corrupted by influential people, he said, adding that concerned government agencies have been instructed to work together to fight the menace.
The coordination between government agencies and non-government organizations have resulted to the removal of the Philippines from the Tier 2 Watch list of the 2011 Trafficking in Persons Report released by the US government last month.
The report recognized the significant efforts being undertaken by the Philippine government to combat trafficking in persons such as the almost 200-percent increase in convictions of traffickers, including convictions for labor trafficking.
The country has started to made gains economically and President Aquino said in the near future no underage Filipinos will be allowed to leave the country to work and become victims of human traffickers.
“Tapos na po ang pang-aalipin sa mga Pilipino. Sa liwanag ng mabuting pamamahala, sama-sama at taas-noo nating tahakin ang matuwid na landas tungo sa mas mapayapa at mas maunlad na Pilipinas,” he continued.
Pajarito received a presidential citation from President Aquino for having the most number of successfully prosecuted and convicted human trafficking offenders.
The President recognized Pajarito’s steadfast dedication in her prosecutorial efforts to fight human trafficking in the country with the help of the different agencies, such as the Inter-Agency Council Against Trafficking.
Pajarito was given the 2011 Hero Acting to End Modern Day Slavery Award by the US State Department, headed by Secretary Hillary Rodham Clinton, in Washington, D.C., and is the only Filipino in the State Department’s 10 Trafficking-in-Person Heroes.
Others who received presidential recognition Friday include former Bureau of Immigration (BI) official Ronaldo Ledesma, BI legal head Arvin Santos, BI intelligence head Maria Antonette Mangrobang, NBI-AHTRAD head Dante Bonoan, and Ninoy Aquino International Airport general manager Jose Angelo Honrado.
Of the groups given presidential citations were the End Child Prostitution and Trafficking, Coalition Against Trafficking in Women-Asia Pacific, International Justice Mission, Visayan Forum Foundation Inc. National Interagency Task Force Against Trafficking (NIATFAT), Regional Anti-Human Trafficking Task Force (RAHTTR-7) of Cebu City, Sea Based Anti-Trafficking Task Force (SBATTF) of Zamboanga City, Anti Human Trafficking Division of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI-AHTRAD)
President Aquino signs Tetangco’s reappointment as governor of Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas
Malacanang announced the signing of the appointment papers of Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) governor Amando Tetangco Jr. for a second six-year term in office by President Benigno S. Aquino III.
“Napirmahan na po ng Pangulong Aquino ang appointment papers ni Amando M. Tetangco Jr. bilang governor ng Monetary Board at ng Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas noong July 2,” Deputy Presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte announced in an interview over dzRB Radyo ng Bayan on Saturday.
Several business groups in the country asked the President to consider Tetangco’s reappointment because of his good stewardship at the BSP that helped the country economically.
Tetangco took up AB Economics at the Ateneo de Manila University where he graduated cum laude. After that, he took up graduate courses in business administration in the same university.
Tetangco also studied at the University of Wisconsin in Madison in the US, where he took his MA in Public Policy and Administration with concentration in Development Economics.
He became the BSP governor in July 2005 after serving as deputy governor in-charge of the banking services sector, economic research and treasury of the BSP.
Valte said the President also approved the appointment of Alfredo C. Antonio and Felipe M. Medalla to the BSP’s Monetary Board.
The president also designated Maria Josefina M. de la Cruz as the new postmaster-general and chief executive officer of the Philippine Postal Corporation. At the same time, Cesar N. Sarino was also appointed as a member of PhilPost’s board of directors with a term expiring on June 3, 2015.
Other appointments include Eufemio T. Rasco Jr., executive director Philippine Rice Research Institute (PRRI) and Teodoro C. Mendoza, board of trustees also of PRRI.
Aquino says government ready to support agencies that perform well
President Benigno Aquino III said his administration is ready to support agencies that perform well for the benefit of the people.
In a speech in Malacanang recognizing individuals and organizations that have been fighting human trafficking, the President said the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) reported having spent 60 percent of its annual budget.
The President said he found that in the remaining five months of the year, the DSWD has only 41 percent of its total budget.
“Pero dahil talaga namang may performance, masinop naman po si Butch Abad ay hahanapan natin ng masasabi nating kailangang idagdag sa mga nagsisilbi sa taumbayan. Palagay ko hindi naman pagdaramutan ng ating mga kababayan ang mga nagmamalasakit kaya tulungan naman po natin,” the President said.
The chief executive also vowed to support and to reward those who are working hard under his leadership.
In a radio interview on Saturday over dzRB Radyo ng Bayan, Deputy Presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said Malacanang is proposing a huge allocation for social services and health care in the 2012 budget.
“Doon po kasi sa pino-propose po nating 2012 budget, if you look at the way we have allotted funds, pinakamataas po ulit yung doon sa social services,” she said, noting that the budget allocation for the Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program has been increased from P34.3 billion this year to 49.4 billion to cover more beneficiaries by 2012.