Government to continue working to improve lives of Filipinos, says Palace
Malacanang said the government will continue to work to improve the lives of Filipinos by carrying out programs that expand assistance to sectors vital to national development.
In a statement on Saturday, Deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte mentioned the inflation rate released by the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA).
The PSA released the inflation rates for June 2014, indicating that inflation has been pegged at 4.4 percent, down from 4.5 percent last month, while core inflation also went down to 2.8 percent from 3.1 percent.
Valte said that according to the National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA), inflation rates slowed down due to decelerating growth in prices of non-food items.
The current rates support a manageable and within-target outlook for the rest of year.
"In line with our development goals, an Inter-Agency Committee (IAC) has been created to oversee electrification programs and projects involving distribution utilities in the country," she said.
"Composed of representatives from relevant agencies, the Committee has the responsibility to ensure the security and sustainability of electrification programs within the country."
The President issued the Memorandum Circular No. 65 last month outlining the creation of the interagency committee.
The Palace official said these reforms are part of the holistic strategy of the Aquino administration aimed at assisting important sectors in the country for them to contribute to national growth. PND (as)
Palace calls for public vigilance following surrender of Enrile
The Palace asked for public vigilance as the country starts its quest for justice in connection with the P10 billion pork barrel scam involving lawmakers.
"Yesterday, we again witnessed another development in the pork barrel case, as Senator Juan Ponce Enrile surrendered to authorities after the Sandiganbayan issued a warrant of arrest against him for plunder and graft," Deputy Presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said in a statement on Saturday.
"As the nation closely follows this important episode in the pursuit of truth, we continue to ask the public to remain vigilant as the Sandiganbayan works to fulfill its mandate: to follow the appropriate processes in the service of justice."
Senator Juan Ponce Enrile, one of the three senators accused of pocketing multimillion in pork barrel funds, surrendered to police authorities in Camp Crame Friday after an arrest order was issued against him by the Sandiganbayan.
Enrile is facing plunder and graft charges for allegedly pocketing P172.8 million in kickbacks from businesswoman Janet Lim-Napoles, the alleged mastermind behind the pork barrel scam.
The arrest order is for the plunder charge, a non-bailable offense.
Other senators facing similar raps include Senators Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. and Jose “Jinggoy” Estrada. They have surrendered as well after arrest warrants were served by the Sandigangbayan and have since been detained at the PNP Custodial Center. PND (as)
Malacanang hopes DAP issue won't affect administration's legislative agenda
Malacanang hopes that the Disbursement Acceleration Program (DAP) issue will not affect the executive branch's legislative agenda as Congress opens next month.
In a radio interview over dzRB Radyo ng Bayan on Saturday, Deputy Presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said that the Palace expects that controversies surrounding DAP will not affect the President's priority legislations.
These measures, she said are important, as the President carves his legacy in the two remaining years in office as chief executive.
"Umaasa po tayo na hindi makaabala o makatagal ito sa mga priority pieces of legislation na gusto po nating itulak," Valte said.
Among these measures she said is the 2015 national budget. The Aquino administration was able to push the country's budget on time, avoiding re-enacted budgets.
Another important measure is the Bangsamoro Basic Law, which could be among the President's legacies when he steps down from power; that is to finally achieve a lasting peace in Mindanao.
The President vowed to ensure the conduct of a democratic and orderly election in Mindanao in 2016.
The Supreme Court ruled this week, that the DAP, used to stimulate the economy by the administration, is unconstitutional. PND (as)
Malacanang warns public of heavy rains brought about by coming typhoon
The Palace asked the public to keep monitoring the weather and to take the necessary precautions as a storm near Luzon May bring heavy rains that could result to flooding.
"We appeal to everyone to keep monitoring the weather and to take the necessary precautions para hindi po tayo maperwisyo kung sakaling lumakas po ang mga pag-ulan," Deputy Presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said in a radio interview over dzRB Radyo ng Bayan on Saturday.
"Nagbigay na rin po ng warning ang ating PAGASA at ang NDRRMC doon sa mga lugar na posibleng maapektuhan nitong pagpasok na bagyong ito; at sinabihan na po sila to take the necessary precautions against landslides and flooding."
The PAGASA said a tropical depression, which remains outside the Philippine Area of Responsibility, is now a tropical storm. The storm will enter the country's PAR on Sunday, Valte said quoting a PAGASA forecast.
Although the storm will not make landfall, it may enhance Habagat that will result to more rains in Luzon and Visayas area.
PAGASA earlier reported that it will be a cloudy Saturday, July 5, for parts of the country. Bicol region, Mimaropa, and the Visayas will experience cloudy skies with light to moderate rains and thunderstorms.
A typhoon with international name Neoguri was also spotted 1,410 km east northeast of Virac, Catanduanes as of 4am Saturday.
Metro Manila and the the rest of the country will be partly cloudy to cloudy with isolated rainshowers or thunderstorms, according to PAGASA. PND (as)