Police must heighten anti-illegal drug campaign after Cavite killings, Palace says
Malacanang said Friday’s shooting rampage in Cavite should prompt the police to carry out extensive campaign against loose firearms and illegal drugs.
Ronald Bae, a drug addict, went on a shooting rampage in Kawit, Cavite on Friday morning attacking his neighbors with a .45-caliber pistol. Eight people were killed and nine others were injured in the attack.
Police investigation confirmed that Bae was high on drugs when he carried out the rampage.
“This should provide further impetus for our officials of the PNP (Philippine National Police) particularly in Region IV-A, to further heighten their drive against illegal drugs,” Deputy Presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said in a radio interview over government-run dzRB Radyo ng Bayan on Saturday.
The Palace official also suggested that the PNP should look into reports saying police personnel in Cavite responded late to the shooting.
The PNP in the national capital region has been implementing a two-minute response time for its personnel.
Valte also fended off accusations that politics hinders effective police work in Cavite. It was reported that Cavite Governor Jonvic Remulla complained about not getting enough policemen in the province because he’s not an ally of the President.
“Sa peace and order walang pulitika. We’ve always been very adamant about that. And if Governor Jonvic Remulla has any concerns, and I’m sure the leadership of the PNP will be more than happy to coordinate, and to listen to him,” Valte said.
Friday’s shooting happened in Barangay Tabon 1 in Kawit, Cavite, at around 9:30 a.m. The suspect, who traded shots with responding policemen, was shot to death by the authorities at around 11 a.m.
The suspect entered several houses and shoot everyone inside including children, according to witnesses. The police also found sachets containing suspected drugs inside Bae’s house.
Witnesses also said Bae was assisted by a certain John Paul Lopez in the rampage. They said Lopez helped Bae reload his pistol. The Cavite provincial government is offering a reward for the capture of Bae’s alleged accomplice. PND (as)
Palace: Security for feast of Black Nazarene equally strict this year
The police will implement strict security measures for this year’s Feast of the Black Nazarene in Manila to make the celebration orderly and safe, the Palace said on Saturday.
“Last year’s case was very different as you all know. But for this year, the security measures will be equally strict. NCRPO chief Dindo Espina has already been meeting with the Church officials and with the local government officials as to the preparations that we are taking for the procession for this year’s Feast of the Black Nazarene,” Deputy Presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said in a radio interview over dzRB Radyo ng Bayan.
“The preparations will be equally tight although iba ‘yung last year, given that it was a unique situation last year.”
Last year’s feast was recorded as the "longest procession" as it took more than 22 hours. The police also claimed a possible terrorist attack, prompting them to jam mobile phone communications in the area.
The police has started preparations for the annual feast which will be celebrated January 9. Millions of devotees are expected to take part in a traditional procession to the Quiapo Church.
Among the activities during the event will be masses at the Quiapo Church and a procession around the district. PND (as)